_ The last person living at Victoria Park has been removed by police as work to cleanup the site continues(Mark Hodgins_CityNews) CANADAHALIFAX news Halifax spent nearly $1M to fence off, restore Victoria Park after encampment by admin 14 يناير، 2025 written by admin 14 يناير، 2025 497 CITYnews halifax / By Mark Hodgins Two Halifax parks that had been fenced off for remediation after being used as homeless encampments have reopened to the public. The city says fencing was removed this week at Victoria Park and Nick Meagher Park. Victoria Park, a large park on Spring Garden Road in downtown Halifax, had been fenced off to the public since people sleeping rough at the park were removed in March 2024. Nick Meagher Park in Halifax’s west end had been closed since July 2022. “Nick Meagher Park and Victoria Park experienced extensive damage from prolonged use by individuals experiencing homelessness, necessitating substantial remediation efforts,” read a statement on the municipality’s website. Related: New pallet shelter villages open in HRM Canadian rent at 17 month low; housing costs in Halifax still rising ‘Now’s the time’: As Canada ramps up housing, advocates urge more accessible builds That work came at a hefty price tag, according to the city. Putting up fencing around Victoria Park cost the municipality $771,000, while remediation work at the park came in at $196,000. At Nick Meagher Park, fencing cost $23,000 while work to restore the park, including new lighting, paving and landscaping, cost $78,000. The municipality also says fencing remained around Victoria Park until the University Avenue green space was closed as an encampment “to prevent Victoria Park from being reoccupied as an encampment.” 95.7 NewsRadio has reached out to the municipality for comment. 0 comment 0 FacebookTwitterPinterestEmail admin previous post أكثر من ربع الأشخاص المقتولين في عمليات للشرطة هم من السكان الأصليين next post Two men arrested in connection to shots fired at home in Beaver Bank You may also like نحوٌ من 200 دبلوماسي كندي سابق يطالبون بعقوبات... 16 مايو، 2026 France rejects plan to send its last two... 16 مايو، 2026 Macdonald Bridge to close Sunday morning for Bluenose... 16 مايو، 2026 Canadian isolating in B.C. tests “presumptive positive” for... 16 مايو، 2026 Canadian wineries say scrapping provincial trade barriers would... 16 مايو، 2026 Kirst’s six-point outing leads Rock past Thunderbirds in... 16 مايو، 2026 Carney, Smith reach energy agreement that could see... 15 مايو، 2026 Why the U.S. is noticing this Canadian security... 15 مايو، 2026 Supreme Court rules intimate partner violence can be... 15 مايو، 2026 Why a song contest has emerged as Europe’s... 15 مايو، 2026