Calgary Police and RCMP tactical team members keep watch on a house where shots were fired. Residents of an east-end Calgary neighbourhood were being told to stay away as a standoff stretched into its second day, in Calgary, Alta., Friday, March. 15, 2024. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Dave Chidley David Chidley CANADAHALIFAX news Despite hours of negotiations, armed man killed by police in eastend Calgary standoff by admin 17 مارس، 2024 written by admin 17 مارس، 2024 279 CITYnews halifax / By The Canadian Press A 30-hour armed standoff with Calgary police that forced some residents of a southeast neighbourhood out of their homes came to an end on Friday night after officers shot a man dead. Police had been stationed outside a home in the Penbrooke Meadows neighbourhood since Thursday afternoon trying to negotiate with a man who had allegedly barricaded himself inside and was firing shots at officers. Investigators estimated about 100 shots were fired from within the home before “the situation escalated” on Friday night at around 8:30 p.m. local time. Chief Const. Mark Neufeld offered no details about the escalation or how the man died, but told a late-night news conference that public safety concerns were a factor throughout the standoff. “This is an unfortunate outcome, but our top priority was always the safety of the community,” Neufeld said. “We made every effort to bring this to a safe and peaceful conclusion and have employed numerous tactics and resources over the duration of this prolonged event. This includes intermittent negotiations with the individual for more than 30 hours.” The standoff began at around 3 p.m. on Thursday when police went to the home to execute a search warrant related to a separate gun-related investigation. Police said those not involved in the probe were able to leave the home before the man barricaded himself inside and adds no one was hurt as a result of the subsequent gunfire. The RCMP Emergency Response Team eventually joined Calgary Police in their efforts to resolve the standoff, and Neufeld said both local tactical unit officers and Mounties were involved when the man was shot. He declined to provide further details, noting the Alberta Serious Incident Response Team is now investigating the shooting. “This was a tremendously dynamic situation that posed immense risk to the surrounding community and to our officers,” Neufeld said. “I’m extremely proud of the efforts of our members to de-escalate the situation and to encourage a safe, voluntary surrender.” The standoff prompted the evacuation of some nearby homes. Police cited safety concerns for the order to leave, noting active gunfire made the risk level “extremely high” for both officers and the public. Neufeld said the investigation “will take a bit of time, adding investigators are still processing the scene. He asked displaced residents to monitor official police social media accounts for word on when they have the green light to return home. This report by The Canadian Press was first published March 16, 2024. The Canadian Press 0 comment 0 FacebookTwitterPinterestEmail admin previous post قيادات “حماس” في السفارة البريطانية بعمان: عرفات غاضب ولندن تدافع next post Some doctors sneak education into their online content to drown out misinformation You may also like نحوٌ من 200 دبلوماسي كندي سابق يطالبون بعقوبات... 16 مايو، 2026 France rejects plan to send its last two... 16 مايو، 2026 Macdonald Bridge to close Sunday morning for Bluenose... 16 مايو، 2026 Canadian isolating in B.C. tests “presumptive positive” for... 16 مايو، 2026 Canadian wineries say scrapping provincial trade barriers would... 16 مايو، 2026 Kirst’s six-point outing leads Rock past Thunderbirds in... 16 مايو، 2026 Carney, Smith reach energy agreement that could see... 15 مايو، 2026 Why the U.S. is noticing this Canadian security... 15 مايو، 2026 Supreme Court rules intimate partner violence can be... 15 مايو، 2026 Why a song contest has emerged as Europe’s... 15 مايو، 2026