CANADACANADA eng Canadian ambassador’s Cuba comment triggered a diplomatic flap with Washington before Pence’s visit by admin 5 يونيو، 2019 written by admin 5 يونيو، 2019 836 Canadian officials were anxious about hosting VP Pence with American steel and aluminum tariffs still in place Katie Simpson · CBC News An offhand comment by Canada’s ambassador to the United States about Cuba touched off a minor diplomatic flap between the federal government and the U.S. State Department, CBC News has learned. About two months ago, officials in the Trump administration reached out to the Prime Minister’s Office to float the idea of U.S. Vice President Mike Pence coming to Ottawa to lobby for the swift passage of the revised NAFTA trade agreement, dubbed the USMCA by the White House. Multiple federal government sources spoke to CBC News anonymously about what happened next. As the Trump administration was making arrangements for Pence’s visit, controversial steel and aluminum tariffs imposed by U.S. President Donald Trump were still being enforced against Canadian products — a major source of tension between the two countries. Tariff tensions The sources said it was Canada’s position that the Americans did not recognize the depth of anger in Canada over the tariffs — especially since President Trump had used a national security provision to implement them. The sources said Ottawa worried that a visit by Pence with the tariffs still in place would be “difficult” or, at best, “frosty.” One senior source said there were fears of a repeat of the diplomatic disaster that ended the G7 Summit in Charlevoix, Quebec last summer. So when Canadian Ambassador to the United States David MacNaughton called U.S. Ambassador to Canada Kelly Craft shortly after Pence’s visit was proposed — to learn more about what the Americans had in mind — he did not shy away from sharing Canada’s concerns. Sources say MacNaughton told Craft that Pence likely would get a warmer reception in Cuba — since Cubans at least understand that they’re viewed as a national security threat by Washington. Kid gloves That comment was a departure from the Trudeau government’s strategy of treating the White House with kid gloves and carefully avoiding confrontation with a temperamental president. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has been careful not to say anything publicly that could upset Trump, given the importance of the Canada-U.S. trading relationship. When the message was passed from Ambassador Craft to members of the Trump administration, it didn’t go over well. Sources say it wasn’t long before Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland’s office received a request for an “urgent” phone conversation from the office of U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo. Freeland’s office was not aware of MacNaughton’s specific comment, nor did it have any idea of what Pompeo wanted to talk about. Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland shakes hands with Secretary of State Mike Pompeo during a photo opportunity before their meeting at the State Department, Friday, May 11, 2018 in Washington. (Alex Brandon/The Associated Press) Staff in Freeland’s office frantically pulled up files on multiple topics — so that she could quickly pivot to discuss whatever was on Pompeo’s mind. When Pompeo demanded an explanation for MacNaughton’s comment about Cuba, sources said, Freeland’s voice dropped to a low, reassuring tone as she tried to smooth over any tensions. She repeatedly told Pompeo that Pence would be welcome in Canada at any time. Planning for the visit continued. All of the sources that spoke to CBC News insist that all the conversations on the topic were professional in tone. ‘Blunt beyond belief’ One senior source said that MacNaughton’s comment turned out to have a positive effect, since it impressed upon the Trump administration the depth of Canadian outrage over the tariffs. “Unless you’re blunt beyond belief, (the Americans) don’t get it.” Ottawa had been trying to get the attention of Trump’s people for months as it struggled to negotiate an end to the steel and aluminum tariffs. ANALYSIS Justin Trudeau and Mike Pence: unlikely partners in an alliance of necessity Congress in no rush to pass new NAFTA, says Congressman Threat of U.S. tariffs on Mexico roils markets, dims hopes for new NAFTA It wasn’t until American trade talks with the Chinese soured that the Trump administration considered changing its position on Canada. Tensions eventually eased when the U.S. announced it would lift its tariffs on Canadian and Mexican steel and aluminum on May 17. Pence eventually visited Trudeau in Ottawa on May 30. The visit went smoothly, by all accounts. 974 comments 0 FacebookTwitterPinterestEmail admin previous post Air Canada imposes ‘no fly’ ban, demands $18K from woman after ticket scam next post Des anciens combattants canadiens retournent sur les lieux du débarquement de Normandie You may also like نحوٌ من 200 دبلوماسي كندي سابق يطالبون بعقوبات... 16 مايو، 2026 France rejects plan to send its last two... 16 مايو، 2026 Macdonald Bridge to close Sunday morning for Bluenose... 16 مايو، 2026 Canadian isolating in B.C. tests “presumptive positive” for... 16 مايو، 2026 Canadian wineries say scrapping provincial trade barriers would... 16 مايو، 2026 Kirst’s six-point outing leads Rock past Thunderbirds in... 16 مايو، 2026 Carney, Smith reach energy agreement that could see... 15 مايو، 2026 Why the U.S. is noticing this Canadian security... 15 مايو، 2026 Supreme Court rules intimate partner violence can be... 15 مايو، 2026 Why a song contest has emerged as Europe’s... 15 مايو، 2026 Leave a Comment Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Δ