Canadian Foreign Affairs Minister Melanie Joly has announced another round of sanctions against the Russian government, which she says are in response to last month's death of Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny and Russia's "continued gross and systematic violations of human rights." Joly speaks to media in the Foyer of the House of Commons on Parliament Hill in Ottawa, Friday, March 1, 2024. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Justin Tang CANADAHALIFAX news Canada sanctions more Russian officials in response to death of opposition leader by admin 4 مارس، 2024 written by admin 4 مارس، 2024 305 CITYnews halifax / By The Canadian Press Canada’s foreign affairs minister has announced another round of sanctions against the Russian government, which she says are in response to last month’s death of Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny and Russia’s “continued gross and systematic violations of human rights.” Mélanie Joly announced the sanctions in a statement released early Sunday morning, which says the measures will be imposed on six Russian senior officials and high-ranking employees of its prosecution, judicial and correctional services. The statement says they were involved in the violation of Navalny’s “human rights, his cruel punishment and ultimately, his death. “Navalny, 47, was roundly considered Russian President Vladimir Putin’s greatest political foe. During a visit to Ukraine late last month, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau accused Putin of “executing” Navalny, who died unexpectedly a week earlier in the Arctic penal colony where he was serving a 19-year sentence. The Kremlin has rejected allegations that Putin was involved in Navalny’s death, calling them “absolutely unfounded, insolent accusations about the head of the Russian state.” Joly says Russia must conduct a full and transparent inquiry into the death of Navalny, whom she called “a voice of hope for the Russian people, as well as a voice for freedom, justice, democracy and a better future for Russia.” Canada announced sanctions on Feb. 23 against 10 more Russian officials and businessmen and 153 entities, in co-ordination with the United States and the United Kingdom. This report by The Canadian Press was first published March 3, 2024. The Canadian Press 0 comment 0 FacebookTwitterPinterestEmail admin previous post 35 صحافيا حصيلة اعتقالات إيران للإعلاميين خلال شهر next post Halifax police investigate late night stabbing in Dartmouth You may also like ستة كنديين بين الناشطين الذين أوقفتهم إسرائيل قبالة... 18 مايو، 2026 Province puts aside money to ensure affordable housing... 18 مايو، 2026 Ottawa still pledging to double construction pace despite... 18 مايو، 2026 Tides FC looks for rebound win in Victoria... 18 مايو، 2026 U.S. says it’s pausing long-standing military board with... 18 مايو، 2026 THREE HRM restaurants make country’s top 100 outdoor... 18 مايو، 2026 معرض الكتاب العربي الكندي يحط رحاله في مدينة... 18 مايو، 2026 أوتاوا تعمل على تعزيز العلاقات مع دول الخليج... 18 مايو، 2026 نتيجة ’’أولية‘‘ إيجابية في اختبار فيروس هانتا لأحد... 18 مايو، 2026 نحوٌ من 200 دبلوماسي كندي سابق يطالبون بعقوبات... 16 مايو، 2026