One of four new fixed-wing water bombers. (Province of Nova Scotia) CANADAHALIFAX news Nova Scotia’s new firefighting aircraft squelches wildfire on southwestern shore by admin 21 مايو، 2026 written by admin 21 مايو، 2026 17 CITYnews halifax / By The Canadian Press A small wildfire that was burning out of control on Nova Scotia’s southwestern coast Wednesday night is now described as being held. The province’s Emergency Management Department issued a statement at 7:33 p.m. Wednesday saying the three-hectare fire in Port L’Hebert in Queens County was out of control. Just over an hour later, the department issued another statement through social media saying the fire, located halfway between Liverpool and Shelburne, was being held. Provincial officials said the fire was held back by water drops from the province’s four new fixed-wing air tankers, and by firefighters from the Natural Resources Department and three volunteer fire departments. Last week, the Nova Scotia government announced signing a $6.5-million seasonal contract for the use of four Air Tractor AT-802 turboprop air tankers and one Cessna Caravan turboprop aircraft, which will be used to coordinate aerial firefighting. The aircraft have been contracted from Forest Protection Ltd. based in Lincoln, N.B. Premier Tim Houston says the additional firefighting equipment is needed because wildfire seasons are becoming more intense and unpredictable. Last August, the Long Lake wildfire burned for one month over 84 square kilometres and destroyed 20 homes in the Annapolis Valley. Also in the valley, the Lake George wildfire broke out Sept. 28 and raged out of control for two weeks, forcing the evacuation of 350 civic addresses. In 2023, the province experienced its worst wildfire season on record, losing more than 200 homes to fires that forced 22,000 people to flee their homes and businesses. This report by The Canadian Press was first published May 21, 2026. 0 comment 0 FacebookTwitterPinterestEmail admin previous post Two people arrested after 2024 death of child in Eskasoni next post النائب مايكل تشونغ يلتقي رئيس تايوان وسط تصاعد الضغوط الصينية You may also like كندا ستنفق 1,07 مليار دولار لاستضافة 13 من... 21 مايو، 2026 النائب مايكل تشونغ يلتقي رئيس تايوان وسط تصاعد... 21 مايو، 2026 Two people arrested after 2024 death of child... 21 مايو، 2026 Feds seeking proposals from groups committed to cleaning... 21 مايو، 2026 Mexican cartel, Hells Angels associates among 33 arrested... 21 مايو، 2026 Generic Ozempic is now on Canadian shelves. Is... 21 مايو، 2026 How ICE detention is forcing immigrants out of... 21 مايو، 2026 Israeli security minister tells detained flotilla activists they... 21 مايو، 2026 Hosting FIFA World Cup will cost taxpayers $1B:... 21 مايو، 2026 Israeli forces fired shots at Gaza aid flotilla... 21 مايو، 2026