Canadian and American flags fly at the Rainbow Bridge where the border crossing between the U.S. and Canada near Niagara Falls, Ont., Canada on, Nov. 22, 2023. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Carlos Osorio CANADAHALIFAX news Religious gathering cancelled in N.S. because of fears of U.S. border policies by admin 3 أبريل، 2025 written by admin 3 أبريل، 2025 11 CITYnews halifax / By Hina Alam, The Canadian Press FREDERICTON — A gathering of religious groups from across North America that was supposed to be held this year in Nova Scotia has been postponed indefinitely because of worries over U.S. border policies. The annual conference of the North American Interfaith Network, which brings together people of various religions, was scheduled to be held in Wolfville, N.S. in August. But it has been called off after participants said they were not comfortable having to go back and forth across the U.S. border. Rob Hankinson, a retired United Church minister and co-ordinator of the conference, said that in early February he asked nearly 120 people who had planned to attend from the United States and Mexico whether President Donald Trump’s policies were making them reconsider. Most responded that they were unable to commit to attending because of the “uncertainties of the times,” he said in an interview Tuesday. “I did not want to put our friends and colleagues from the United States and Mexico in jeopardy because of the current situation. It’s ironic and sad,” he said. The conference title was going to be “Mending our World Together: Interfaith Responses to Social Justice Issues,” a theme that he said is now more important than ever. Since taking office in January, Trump has led a crackdown on immigration, and has cited a seldom-invoked statute to expel non-citizens from the country if their presence was deemed a threat to U.S. foreign policy interests. Organizers of a Moving Trans History Forward conference that opened in British Columbia last week were expecting a 40 per cent drop in attendance because American participants were worried about encountering problems when they returned to the United States. The U.S. State Department has said it will issue travel documents with an “M” or “F” sex marker matching the person’s “biological sex” at birth and stop providing passports to nonbinary people who prefer their gender marked with “X.” The Aug. 3-7 conference in Nova Scotia would have been the network’s first in-person edition since the COVID-19 pandemic hit. Typically it brings together North Americans of all faiths, and Hankinson said that for the last decade it has included people who do not profess faith but are “committed to peace and justice and compassion and human dignity.” He noted that some faith groups, such as Muslims, may feel the strain of tighter borders more than others. Trump imposed a ban on travel from several mostly Muslim countries during his first term. Former president Joe Biden repealed the ban in 2021. John Pinter, executive director of the United Religious Community of St. Joseph County in South Bend, Ind., had been scheduled to attend the conference. At first, he was surprised to hear about border concerns, but he said he understands better after hearing of people’s issues re-entering the United States. “I’m probably sixth-generation, white male. I’m not worrying about it myself too much,” he said. But he recognizes there is a strong correlation between certain religious traditions and the likelihood of being born overseas or being a first- or second-generation American. “That’s true for Sikhs. That’s true for Muslims,” he said, adding that visible minorities would likely face more questions or hindrances when trying to get back into the United States. Interfaith gatherings, he said are important because they help in sharing ideas and fostering resiliency in communities, especially during emergencies. “It would have been a chance to bring a couple hundred people together, enjoy each other for a week, learn from each other, and then hopefully become part of a diaspora of people that have been positively impacted by that program,” Pinter said. “It’s unfortunate that’s not going to happen, and I worry that’s being repeated in a lot of different ways, of people just avoiding — kind of withdrawing into their safe zone.” This report by The Canadian Press was first published April 2, 2025. — With files from The Associated Press Hina Alam, The Canadian Press 0 comment 0 FacebookTwitterPinterestEmail admin previous post Driver faces multiple charges following collision in Spryfield next post Taxpayers on the hook for demolition of Bloomfield site You may also like The latest on Trump tariffs: Senate passes resolution... 3 أبريل، 2025 Taxpayers on the hook for demolition of Bloomfield... 3 أبريل، 2025 Driver faces multiple charges following collision in Spryfield 3 أبريل، 2025 Africville reunion shooting added to unsolved crime rewards... 3 أبريل، 2025 أونتاريو: رفع الحدّ الأدنى للأجور إلى 17,6 دولاراً... 3 أبريل، 2025 ألاسكا ترغب في اعتماد قرار يؤكد سيادة كندا 3 أبريل، 2025 CBC News : Compare the election promises of... 2 أبريل، 2025 Police identify Dartmouth murder victim, ask for help... 2 أبريل، 2025 Halifax firefighters’ union decries risks after multiple fires... 2 أبريل، 2025 كارني تحدث مع شينباوم عن خطته لمواجهة رسوم... 2 أبريل، 2025