Robert Mailman, left, and Walter Gillespie, speak to media shortly as Ron Dalton, right, co-president of Innocence Canada, looks on after their hearing at Saint John Law Courts in Saint John, N.B., January 4, 2024. Innocence Canada says a "satisfactory" conditional settlement has been reached between the New Brunswick government and two men who were wrongfully convicted of a 1983 murder. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Michael Hawkins CANADAHALIFAX news New Brunswick government reaches settlement deal with two wrongfully convicted men by admin 29 فبراير، 2024 written by admin 29 فبراير، 2024 171 CITYnews halifax / By The Canadian Press Innocence Canada says a “satisfactory” conditional settlement has been reached between the New Brunswick government and two men who were wrongfully convicted of a 1983 murder. Ron Dalton, co-president of the organization that represented Robert Mailman and Walter Gillespie, says no details of the amount given to the men will be disclosed, which is one of the conditions of the settlement. But he says the money will help the men live out the rest of their days a “little more comfortably.” Last month, 76-year-old Mailman and 80-year-old Gillespie were acquitted by New Brunswick Court of King’s Bench Chief Justice Tracey DeWare in the killing of George Gilman Leeman on Nov. 30, 1983. Gillespie served 21 years of his life sentence in prison while Mailman served 18. Mailman has terminal liver cancer and has been told he does not have long to live, while Gillespie is surviving on a meagre pension and living in an $800-a-month single-room apartment. Dalton says the amount from the settlement will help Mailman leave something behind for his family while Gillespie can move out of the “hovel” and also eat better. This report by The Canadian Press was first published Feb. 28, 2024. The Canadian Press 0 comment 0 FacebookTwitterPinterestEmail admin previous post Nova Scotia budget expected to focus on health care, cost of living next post Banning hacking devices won’t prevent car thefts, security experts say You may also like راديو كندا الدولي: دعوة إلى إنشاء لجنة وطنية... 5 أغسطس، 2026 راديو كندا الدولي: عقد عسكري لتوفير خدمات الأقمار... 5 أغسطس، 2026 راديو كندا الدولي: كندا تسمح بإجراء تجارب سريرية... 5 أغسطس، 2026 راديو كندا الدولي: لقاء في مونتريال لتوعية الجالية... 5 أغسطس، 2026 راديو كندا الدولي: الأمطار الغزيرة تُخلّف دماراً واسعاً... 5 أغسطس، 2026 راديو كندا الدولي: اتفاق مبدئي بين ’’ويست جيت‘‘... 5 أغسطس، 2026 CITYnews Halifax: Plastic reducing pilot project receives provincial... 5 أغسطس، 2026 CITYnews Halifax: Federal researchers say small harvesting changes... 5 أغسطس، 2026 CITYnews Halifax: Naked P.E.I. man allegedly steals headphones... 5 أغسطس، 2026 CITYnews Halifax: Golen scores winner for Ottawa Rapid... 5 أغسطس، 2026