The front entrance at the Energy Fuels Inc. uranium Pinyon Plain Mine is shown on Wednesday, Jan. 31, 2024, near Tusayan, Ariz. (AP Photo_Ross D. Franklin, File) CANADAHALIFAX news ‘Isn’t just about rocks’: Advocates broaden the conversation on uranium exploration by admin 6 أغسطس، 2025 written by admin 6 أغسطس، 2025 138 CITYnews halifax / By Rachel Morgan River John, N.S. resident Barb Harris is speaking out on the importance of community discussions on uranium exploration, despite receiving a warning not to. Harris told The Todd Veinotte Show that a fellow community organizer received a Facebook message warning against people without “proper credentials” making and repeating claims on natural resource exploration. After a bit of digging, they found the message came from the CEO of the Association of Professional Geoscientists of Nova Scotia. “I just found it very odd that this organization of geoscientists would be warning of people making comments,” Harris said, stating the message was very broad and gave no examples of direct misinformation. She said the warning attached to the message even made threats of fines and jail time for people who misrepresented themselves as geoscientists, something Harris said was “totally unnecessary.” “Why is this organization making such a big deal about people informing themselves?” she questioned. Related: Uranium added to N.S. critical minerals list as province seeks exploration Ecology Action Centre criticizes N.S.’s bill to lift bans on fracking, uranium exploration Houston confirms no bids made for uranium exploration as deadline passes Landowners can say no to uranium exploration on their properties: Deputy In March, Nova Scotia lifted its ban on uranium mining and exploration, a ban that had been in place for over four decades. Three areas have been put up for direct bidding for natural resource exploration, making it a hot topic across the province. Harris said that the provincial government has repeatedly stated that an informed discussion will take place once a project is secured, but she argues that exploration can still be harmful. That is why Harris is continuing the conversation and drawing in people with a wide range of expertise. “This discussion isn’t just about rocks,” she said. She said she’s heard from physicians, Atlantic specialists, geologists, former Health Canada employees and Indigenous peoples who all carry valuable knowledge that should contribute to the conversation. “There was lots of scientific evidence against it,” Harris said about the reasons the ban first came into place 44 years ago. That knowledge came from more than just geoscientists. When asked why she thought the warning message came through, Harris said she didn’t want to speculate, but that it appeared to be an attempt to discourage discussion. Harris plans on doing just the opposite. CityNews reached out to the Association of Professional Geoscientists of Nova Scotia but did not receive a response before publication. 0 comment 0 FacebookTwitterPinterestEmail admin previous post حرائق الغابات تذكّر بالتحديات المشتركة حسب السفير الأميركي لدى كندا next post Halifax to install signs at parks impacted by provincial woods ban You may also like World Cup trophy tour comes to Halifax 23 مايو، 2026 Halifax police warn public to watch their drinks... 23 مايو، 2026 كارني يدعو سكان ألبرتا إلى ’’تجديد‘‘ كندا معه 23 مايو، 2026 الفرنكفونية كمحفّز لتطوير الأعمال بين تونس وكندا 23 مايو، 2026 أناند تقول إنّ كنديين تعرّضوا لـ’’انتهاكات مروّعة‘‘ من... 23 مايو، 2026 Alderney service back to reduced schedule three days... 22 مايو، 2026 Gas prices to change again as interrupter is... 22 مايو، 2026 First-degree murder charge laid in case of missing... 22 مايو، 2026 N.S. resort is the latest using high-tech blankets... 22 مايو، 2026 Drugs and weapons seized at a home in... 22 مايو، 2026