CANADAHALIFAX news First Nation in N.S. vows to keep fishing despite arrest for ‘unauthorized fishery’ by admin 20 أغسطس، 2021 written by admin 20 أغسطس، 2021 133 Chief Mike Sack said members of the Sipekne’katik First Nation will fish until the end of the year as planned HALIFAXtoday \ Canadian Press SAULNIERVILLE, N.S. — The chief of a First Nation in Nova Scotia says his band will continue fishing for lobster outside the federally regulated season, days after he was arrested by Fisheries Department officers. Chief Mike Sack said today in an interview members of the Sipekne’katik First Nation will fish until the end of the year as planned, despite the fact federal officers continue to haul his community’s traps from the water. Sack was arrested and questioned by fisheries officers earlier this week after he announced that band members would start fishing months ahead of the opening of the federally regulated season. He says he wasn’t charged but was taken in for being “party to the offence of (an) unauthorized fishery.” Sack says he hopes his band can operate its own fishery without being subject to enforcement operations by the federal government. Sipekne’katik First Nation argues that a 1999 Supreme Court of Canada decision affirming its members’ treaty right to fish allows them to harvest lobster year-round. This report by The Canadian Press was first published Aug. 20, 2021. — This story was produced with the financial assistance of the Facebook and Canadian Press News Fellowship. The Canadian Press 15 comments 0 FacebookTwitterPinterestEmail admin previous post N.S. legislature increases Black, female presence, still has no Indigenous member next post Situation turned ugly when violent protesters arrived, says councillor You may also like World Cup trophy tour comes to Halifax 23 مايو، 2026 Halifax police warn public to watch their drinks... 23 مايو، 2026 كارني يدعو سكان ألبرتا إلى ’’تجديد‘‘ كندا معه 23 مايو، 2026 الفرنكفونية كمحفّز لتطوير الأعمال بين تونس وكندا 23 مايو، 2026 أناند تقول إنّ كنديين تعرّضوا لـ’’انتهاكات مروّعة‘‘ من... 23 مايو، 2026 Alderney service back to reduced schedule three days... 22 مايو، 2026 Gas prices to change again as interrupter is... 22 مايو، 2026 First-degree murder charge laid in case of missing... 22 مايو، 2026 N.S. resort is the latest using high-tech blankets... 22 مايو، 2026 Drugs and weapons seized at a home in... 22 مايو، 2026 Leave a Comment Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Δ